2020-2021 Graduate Catalog

Academic Standards, Policies, and Procedures

Within this catalog are academic programs, standards and procedures that apply to students admitted to Kean University for the 2019 - 2020 academic year. The University will provide the student with the programs stated herein. However, the provisions of this publication are not to be regarded as an irrevocable contract between the student and Kean. Degree and related academic requirements are subject to change. When such alteration takes place, it is not made retroactive unless it benefits the student and can be accommodated within the span of time normally needed for completion of degree requirements.

Academic Integrity Policy

(Approved by Kean University Board of Trustees June 25, 2012)

Kean University is aware of and sensitive to the pressures exerted by peers and family, work environment, the academic process, and society in general, and is committed to creating an environment in which academic integrity is supported and academic dishonesty is not tolerated. To that end, the University has taken steps to ensure that all members of the academic community are fully aware of the Academic Integrity Policy by: widely distributing the policy, posting it on the University’s website, identifying material on all course syllabi, and providing training to increase awareness of Academic Integrity issues among all members of the Kean University Community.

Thus, administrators, staff, Board of Trustees Members, and faculty at Kean University have an obligation to support academic integrity by ensuring that all members of the University community understand:

  • What constitutes academic integrity
  • How to prevent academic dishonesty
  • What sanctions are imposed for academic dishonesty
  • What consequences ensue as a result of such sanctions, and
  • What process is used to impose those sanctions

All members of the Kean Community shall actively engage in the academic process. In order to ensure compliance with the Academic Integrity Policy, administrators, faculty, staff, librarians, and students should:

  • Represent their identity truthfully in all situations
  • Protect their materials, including papers, tests, and other academic exercises, from unauthorized access
  • Protect their means of access to resources, including computer passwords and library access codes, from unauthorized use of the system
  • Respect the work of others by acknowledging their words, ideas, opinions, theories, data, programs, and other intellectual material in accordance with the guidelines of the discipline or other faculty instruction
  • Report data or source information accurately
  • Refuse to participate in activities that violate the Academic Integrity Policy
  • Read, understand, and comply with the code of ethics and/or clinical code of their chosen discipline, and
  • Represent their mastery of material truthfully and accurately.

The complete Kean University Academic Integrity Policy is found on the Kean website at: https://www.kean.edu/media/academic-integrity-policy

Academic Early Alert

All instructors (graduate and undergraduate) are required to submit Academic Early Alerts for all students enrolled in their class(es). Students view and instructors enter Academic Early Alerts on KeanWISE. Reporting dates and detailed instructions are sent via Kean University email in advance of Academic Early Alert reporting.

Purpose of Academic Early Alert Reports:

Academic Early Alerts serve to give students and faculty advisors (program coordinators for graduate students) early feedback on how students are performing in their classes. These reports are especially meant to give students an early warning if they are currently at-risk for earning a poor or failing final grade in a course. The Academic Early Alert only indicates the student’s performance in the class at that time. Students are encouraged to consult with their instructors throughout the remainder of the class to ensure they are on track for the particular letter grade they are expecting.  Academic Early Alerts are not meant to be an absolute predictor of final grades, since efforts throughout the entire semester will determine the final grade. The Academic Early Alerts will NOT be a part of student permanent records and will be available for viewing on KeanWISE only until the final grade is entered. However, these progress reports will be shared with the Student Success and Retention staff, and faculty advisor(s) (and counselor for students in Veterans’ Student Services, the EEO Program, EPIC Program, PASSPORT Program, or Spanish Speaking Program)—so they may provide assistance to students encountering any academic difficulties.

Grade Types and Instructor Comments:

The Academic Early Alerts received for the course could be a grade, a comment, or both. Grades could be a “P” (Pass), “S” (Satisfactory), “U” (Unsatisfactory) or an A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D (undergraduate only), or F.

In addition to, or instead of, submitting a midterm grade for each student, instructors also have the option of submitting comments (Multiple Absences, Please schedule to meet with Instructor, Recommend Tutoring Center, Recommend Writing Center, Satisfactory Progress, Exceptional Progress, Missing Assignments, Low Test/Quiz Scores, Unprepared for Class, or Unsatisfactory Work).

If any Academic Early Alerts indicate early warning:

Kean University has a wide range of academic and student support services to help students succeed in courses, and students will have time to take actions that can result in improved final grades:

  • Students having difficulty with the content of a particular course are encouraged to take advantage of the tutoring available for that course. Course instructors will refer students to the specialized tutoring available and/or visit the Nancy Thompson Library Learning Commons for any additional, extensive tutorial services.

  • Students with multiple class absences or missing assignments should speak with their course instructor to see if there is an opportunity to make up any of the work missed.

  • Additionally for multiple absences and/or latenesses for a course, students should evaluate any on-going circumstances that are causing the problem—i.e., transportation and parking issues, work schedule, etc. Any adjustments that seem necessary to ensure attendance can be made. Remember that poor attendance is often the primary reason students earn poor or failing grades.

  • Students should meet with their faculty advisor, or a Student Success and Retention staff member (in CAS 123) to discuss academic success strategies and academic support services that can help improve their grades.

  • In some cases, students may elect to withdraw from classes based on their Academic Early Alerts. Keep in mind that course schedule changes may have financial aid implications. Students are encouraged to speak with their faculty instructor, faculty advisor, and both a student accounting and financial aid representative before withdrawing from any classes. The last day to withdraw from a course(s) with a mark of “W” and no refund is published in the Academic Calendar on the Registrar’s webpage for each semester.

  • Students needing additional information about grading policies and procedures should meet with their faculty advisor, Executive Director/Chairperson or a Student Success and Retention staff member to discuss such matters as minimum acceptable grades, special grade requirements of the intended major, GPA calculation, and/or the serious implications of earning failing grades. If a required course is failed, the course must be repeated. A pattern of failing grades can lead to academic probation/dismissal and/or loss of financial aid eligibility.

Kean University is dedicated to supporting students to succeed in their courses. The University offices/programs that can provide assistance and guidance include the faculty advisor, Executive Director/Chairperson, the Student Success and Retention Office, the Counseling Center, and (as applicable) the EEO, EPIC, ESL, PASSPORT, Spanish Speaking Programs, and Veterans’ Student Services. Students not sure where to go for assistance or information should be referred to the office of Student Success and Retention (in CAS 123 or call 908-737-0323). 

For more information about the Academic Early Alerts Reporting process, please consult your respective Executive Director, Chairperson, or Dean’s office.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

After a graduate student attempts six total graduate credits as a matriculated student, a 3.0 cumulative GPA must be achieved. Failure to meet this minimum may result in the student being placed on Academic Probation. Additionally, conditions of the probation may be set at the discretion of the Dean of the Graduate College and/or the Academic Standards Committee. 

Upon completion of 12 attempted graduate credits, if a student fails to achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0, the student may be academically dismissed from Kean University. If the student achieves a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, they will be removed from academic probation. However, if at any time during subsequent semesters the student falls below a cumulative 3.0 GPA, they will be academically dismissed from Kean University. All notices of academic probation and/or dismissal will occur at the completion of the fall and spring academic semesters.

If a student is academically dismissed from Kean University, the student is entitled to appeal the dismissal to the Academic Standards Committee of the Graduate College. This committee will be comprised of the Dean of the Graduate College, as well as administrators and faculty members appointed by the Dean. The appeal must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Dean of the Nathan Weiss Graduate College within seven calendar days of the letter of dismissal. Failure to adhere to this time frame can result in the committee’s refusal to hear the appeal. No in-person appeals will be accepted. All appeals will be reviewed within a reasonable time frame and the committee’s decision will be communicated via an official letter from the University. A dismissed student does not have the opportunity to appeal the Committee’s final decision. 

If a student is academically dismissed from Kean University, they will have the opportunity to apply for reinstatement no earlier than two subsequent semesters. For example, if a student is dismissed after the spring semester, that student would not be eligible to apply for reinstatement until the following spring, with an anticipated start term of the following fall semester. An appeal for reinstatement must be submitted to the Office of the Dean of the Nathan Weiss Graduate College no later than the December 1 for a spring reinstatement or June 1 for a fall reinstatement. Included with the appeal should be any supporting documentation which can include, but is not limited to: proof of academic growth, in the form of taking non-matriculated courses at another college/university, letter(s) of recommendation, and a personal statement expressing the student’s growth, both academically and personally. The reinstatement appeal will be reviewed by the Office of the Dean of the Nathan Weiss Graduate College and a recommendation will be sent to the Academic Standards Committee as to grant or deny reinstatement. The Committee’s decision is final and there is no further provision for appeal beyond that review.

*The Academic Standards Committee reserves the right to make decisions regarding academic probation and dismissal based on a student’s academic performance at their discretion. Some graduate programs may have additional requirements and/or conditions. Please review your department’s requirements with your respective Program Coordinator, as well as all published handbooks.


Access to Education Records (FERPA)

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) grants students certain rights, privileges, and protections relative to individually identifiable student education records maintained by Kean University.

Definition of a Student

A student is defined as a person taking classes at any campus or site of Kean University. A person becomes a student when s/he arrives to her/his first class of the semester in which the person first enrolls. If the person is fully matriculated or is at least 18 years of age by the first day of the student’s first semester, then the privacy rights belong to the student; otherwise, the privacy rights belong to the parent or legal guardian until the student turns 18 or matriculates, whichever comes first.

Annual Notification

Students are notified of their FERPA rights at least once each year by email, by publication in the University Catalog and on the University’s website. This notification permits the release of directory information (see below) without prior written consent of the student. Such notification provides only that directory information may be released; Kean University is not obligated by this law to release directory information to any party other than the student.

Definition of Education Records

Education records are those which contain information directly related to the student. Records originating at another institution are also subject to this provision. Education records include, but are not limited to, records from admission, academic progress (from academic departments as well as those maintained centrally such as in the office of the registrar), health, financial aid and student accounting, teacher education, career placement, course records, disciplinary proceedings, and similar records.

Exclusions from Education Records

The following are excluded from the definition of education records:

  • Records or notes of instructional and administrative personnel which are in the sole possession of the individual.

  • Faculty notes or progress records in a class unless that information already exists in the form of an education record.

  • Grades of peer-graded papers before recorded by faculty member.

  • Information maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or paraprofessional used in connection with the provision of treatment.

  • Safety, security, and law enforcement records created or maintained by the Kean University Department of Public Safety (University Police).

  • Alumni records that are not related to the individual’s attendance as a student.

  • Materials or records in any admissions files, until the student has been admitted to and has attended the Kean school or college for which the materials were submitted.

  • Financial information submitted by parents.

  • Confidential letters or recommendations placed in the file prior to January 1, 1975.

  • Confidential letters or recommendations to which the student has waived rights of inspection.

  • Employment records of any individual whose employment is not contingent on the fact that he or she is a student, provided the record is used only in relation to the individual’s employment.

Right to Inspect Education Records

Students have the right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

When a record contains information about more than one student, the student may inspect and review only the records which relate to him or her.

Students wishing to review their record should submit to the University Registrar a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University Registrar, he or she shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.


The University provides on-campus access to student records. Other than transcripts, the University will not ordinarily provide copies unless inability to obtain copies would effectively prevent the student from exercising his or her right to inspect and review the education record. In cases where copies are provided, the department or office maintaining the record may impose a copying fee of $0.50 per page for making such copies.

The University reserves the right to deny copies of records, including transcripts, in the following situations:

  • The student has an unpaid financial obligation to the University.

  • There is an unresolved disciplinary action against the student.

  • The education record requested is an exam or set of standardized test questions. (An exam or standardized test which is not directly related to a student is not an education record subject to FERPA’s access provisions.)

Right to Seek Amendment

Students have the right to request the amendment of their education records to ensure they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights. The substantive judgment of a faculty member about a student’s work, expressed in grades or other evaluations, is not within the scope of this right to challenge information.

Students who believe their record is inaccurate or misleading may request that the University amend the record by writing to the University official responsible for the record. The request should clearly identify the part of the record to be changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment.

The hearing must be held within three weeks of the request and the student notified of the time, date, and place in advance of the hearing.

The hearing will be conducted by a hearing officer who is a disinterested party. He or she may, however, be an official of the University. The student will be afforded a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issues raised in the original request to amend his or her records. The student may be represented by an individual of his or her choosing, including an attorney (at the student’s expense).

Within two weeks of the conclusion of the hearing, the hearing officer will prepare a written decision based solely on evidence presented at the hearing. The decision will include a summary of the evidence presented and the reasons for the decision.

If it is decided that the challenged information is not inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student’s right of privacy, the University will notify the student that he or she has a right to place in the record a statement commenting on the challenged information and setting forth reasons for disagreeing with the decision. This statement will be maintained as part of the student’s education record as long as the contested portion is maintained. If the University discloses the contested portion of the record, it must also disclose the statement.

Disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information

Students have the right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in their education records, except that information which FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent (a representative list of exceptions appears below).

The University may disclose education records without written consent of students:

  • To school officials with legitimate educational interest, defined as those employees with general or specific responsibility for promoting the educational objectives of the University. This includes individuals within the institution involved in teaching, research, and related activities such as academic advising, counseling, academic support, supervision of co-curricular activities, official University committees or clubs, financial assistance, medical services, and job placement.

A school official is a person employed by Kean University in administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff positions. This includes members of the Board of Trustees, and persons employed by or under contract with the University to perform special tasks, such as an attorney or auditor, and an agency or institution that provides institutional services or functions. It may also include other students serving on official committees, such as disciplinary or grievance committees, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

University officials have legitimate educational interest if they are performing:

  • a task that is specified in their job description;

  • a task related to a student’s education, including registration and grading, and the charging of tuition and fees and billing-related functions;

  • a task related to the discipline of a student; or

  • a service or benefit relating to the student or student’s family, such as health care, counseling, job placement, or financial aid, or other assistance.

Clerical personnel employed to assist university officials in their job performance also may be granted access to student records. Access by all personnel is restricted to that part of the student record necessary for the discharge of assigned duties. The University may grant access as follows:

  • To officials at schools, colleges, or universities participating in cross-enrollment programs for the purposes stated in the bullet above. Kean University currently exchanges academic information with students cross-enrolled at Rutgers University; if other institutions are added, this arrangement will be automatically extended to include them.

  • To secondary institutions whose students are enrolling in Kean classes (whether such classes be on the high school campus, the University’s campus, or elsewhere).

  • To officials of other colleges or universities in which the student has applied to or seeks to enroll. When Kean University deems it appropriate, Kean may also send corrected or additional records if education records have previously been sent to another institution.

  • To accrediting organizations approved by the University carrying out their accrediting functions.

  • To certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, and federal, state, and local educational authorities in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs.

  • To any agency in connection with a student’s request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine eligibility, amount or conditions of the aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid and to organizations conducting studies approved by the University having educational value or concerning financial aid.

  • If required by a state law requiring disclosure that was adopted before November 19, 1974.

  • To parents of an eligible student who claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.

  • To educational agencies conducting research or for the development of predictive tests. Information may also be released to organizations conducting certain studies on behalf of the University. In these cases, the information may not be used in any way that permits identification of an individual student.

  • To persons in compliance with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena, with a notice of the disclosure being sent to the last known address of the student.

  • To persons in an emergency if, in the judgment of an official in charge of the records, knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or another person.

  • To the victim of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, but only the final outcomes of the disciplinary proceeding conducted by Kean University.

  • To any person, agency, or public as required by local, state, or federal laws. Examples of such laws include the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, SEVIS/INS compliance (Department of Homeland Security), Megan’s Law, the Solomon Amendment, and NCES/IPEDS Student Right-to-Know.

  • To persons requesting directory information as designated by Kean University and discussed below.

Students’ names and Kean email addresses will be available to faculty, staff, and other students on the University’s computer network, including the email server and the learning management system.

Kean will maintain a record of all requests for and/or dis¬closure of information to outside agencies from a student’s education record. The record will indicate the name of the party making the request, any additional party to whom it may be disclosed, and the legitimate interest the party has in requesting or obtaining the information. This record may be reviewed by the student.

Directory Information

Student directory information may be released without the student’s prior consent. Kean defines the following as directory information:

  • student’s name.

  • student’s identification number (but not password).

  • photographs, videos, or electronic images.

  • programs of study, including colleges of enrollment, majors, minors, collaterals, concentrations, etc., associated with each.

  • level (undergraduate/graduate) and class year (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, graduate, etc.).

  • student’s enrollment load (full-time/part-time/withdrawn) and dates of attendance.

  • matriculation status and date.

  • honors and awards, including dean’s list and graduation honors.

  • titles of theses and dissertations.

  • degrees received (including date of award).

  • previous institutions attended.

  • participation in clubs, sports, or student activities, including position(s) held.

  • height and weight of members of athletic teams.

Contact information, such as local, permanent and/or electronic Kean e-mail addresses, will be shared only with: (i) honor societies or other academic-related memberships or awards, (ii) designated vendors providing the following external services to graduating students: information about purchasing class rings, yearbooks, commencement photos, cap and gown regalia, and processional cards, and (iii) such others as deemed necessary by the University in connection with its operations, including but not limited to liability, insurance and/or legal matters. The names of students on a dean’s list may be published in the student’s local newspaper.

It is the practice of the University to not release a student’s age or date of birth except as required by law or as a validation of positive identification of a student when furnished by a person making an inquiry.

To withhold directory information, students must make a formal request by submitting a signed, dated letter to the Office of the Registrar by the end of the second week of the semester. Students are advised that withholding information may carry certain consequences. For example, as long as a nondisclosure order is in effect, the student’s name will not appear in commencement programs and the student’s degree will not be verified to potential employers. Kean University assumes no liability for honoring the student’s instructions to withhold information.

Right to File a Complaint

Students have the right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failure by the University to comply with FERPA to:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920

Additional Resources

For additional information, contact the University Registrar.

Registrar, Kean Ocean
Registrar, Kean Ocean

Assessment of Student Learning and Development

In order for the University to assess and improve its academic programs and student services, periodic measurements of student perceptions and learning must be obtained. As a component of the assessment program developed by Kean University, faculty teaching in academic programs and staff professionals providing student services may require (in their own respective areas) students to participate in one or more evaluative procedures. Assessment activities may include examinations and performances as well as surveys and questionnaires about students’ experiences. The assessment information obtained will be used to improve the quality of educational experiences for students, and ensure the integrity of degrees earned at Kean University.

For information regarding program student learning outcomes please see the listing of College and Program Assessment Plans at https://www.kean.edu/offices/accreditation-and-assessment/academic-assessment.

Attendance Policy

Attendance is expected in all courses. Attendance will be a component of the grade of any course if so stated in the syllabus. Students are responsible for informing the instructor in advance or in a timely manner of the reasons for their absence. Instructors in consultation with their executive directors/department chairs are expected to respect University practices and policies regarding what counts as an excused absence. Typically excused absences include illness, bereavement or religious observances. Serious tardiness may be dealt with at the discretion of the instructor.

Observance of a religious holiday is to be considered an excused absence from class for any student. If a student misses a scheduled examination or other announced assignment because of observance of a religious holiday, the student and instructor shall agree upon a mutually convenient time as an alternate date for completion of the assignment.

Change of Non-Resident Status

Students classified as non-residents subsequent to their first semester must complete a petition for New Jersey Resident Tuition Classification in order to change their non-residency status for tuition purposes. This petition must be filed prior to the start of the semester for which a change of residency is requested. Students will be expected to substantiate their request with sufficient proof that they qualify for New Jersey resident rates.

Students living in New Jersey for the sole purpose of obtaining their education are not eligible for resident rates. For a copy of the petition or for further information concerning New Jersey residency, contact the Office of the Registrar, 1st floor, Administration Building, or call (908) 737-3290. Kean Ocean students can contact the Kean Ocean Administrative Office, Gateway 103, 732-255-0356.

Change of Program/Change of Option

Changing from one academic program to another is not automatic. In order to change programs at the graduate level, students must submit an application through the Office of Admissions via apply.kean.edu. Individuals may be required to submit copies of documents evidencing the completion of the program’s admissions requirements. This includes, but is not limited to, copies of official transcripts, official score reports from standardized admissions tests, letters of recommendation, and narrative statements.

Students interested in changing only the option within their program may do so by submitting a request via the Office of the Registrar. The form for this request may be found at https://www.kean.edu/offices/registrars-office/registrars-forms-and-policies. Changes of option require that the student remain in his/her current academic program and just the concentration within that program be adjusted. Please see below for examples of each change.

Examples of a change of option:

M.A. Counseling: Clinical Mental Health to M.A. Counseling: School Counseling

Examples of a change of program: M.A. Counseling: Clinical Mental Health to M.S. Accounting


Class Syllabus: Communication of Course Requirements to Students

Instructors are required to communicate to students in writing at the start of the semester essential information about the course.

The required syllabus templates are available to instructors via the following link:


At a minimum, a class syllabus includes:

  1. Course name, number, section
  2. Semester
  3. Instructor contact information, including phone number, e-mail address and faculty office location
  4. Faculty office hours (times/place)
  5. Prerequisites, if any, to the course (Students who have not met the required prerequisites should be asked to withdraw)
  6. Required textbooks
  7. Course objectives
  8. Outline of course content
  9. Course requirements, methods of evaluation, and the basis by which the final grade is derived
  10. Special features of the course e.g., field trips or visits to facilities off campus
  11. Academic deadlines e.g., the last day to withdraw and the last day to declare P/F op­tion
  12. Academic Integrity Policy (available at the Center for Academic Success or at https://www.kean.edu/media/academic-integrity-policy
  13. Student Code of Conduct, as it discusses expectations of appropriate conduct in the classroom: http://www.kean.edu/KU/Code-of-Conduct
  14. Information on CampusAlert, the University’s emergency notification system (www.mir3.com/kean). Students are encouraged to register in the system in order to be informed of campus emergencies, weather notices and other announcements. Kean Ocean students should follow the Ocean County College webpage and notification system for campus emergencies and weather notices.
  15. All students must have a valid Kean email account. For those who do not already have one, forms are available on-line at http://www.kean.edu/KU/Forms-OCIS; click on E-mail Account Request Form.

The course syllabus is a contract between the faculty member and the student. Changes in course requirements made after the start of the semester should also be communicated in writing to students. Students, in turn, are responsible for meeting the requirements of the course as delineated in the syllabus and for requesting clarification from the instructor on items not clear in the syllabus. Students who experience difficulty in meeting course requirements should discuss their situation with the instructor and seek help. For more information about the course syllabus, please go to http://syllabus.kean.edu or contact your program’s Executive Director, Chairperson, or Dean’s Office.

Class Syllabus: Notice for Laboratory Courses

Reproductive Hazards:

Reproductive hazards are substances or agents that may affect the reproductive health of women or men or the ability of couples to have healthy children. Efforts have been made to eliminate the use of known reproductive hazards in our labs. However, the vast majority of laboratory chemicals have never been tested by the manufacturer or by any governmental agency. As a result, their effect on a developing fetus is unknown; female students must assume that each chemical used in this lab presents a hazard to an unborn child. If you are pregnant, become pregnant or are planning to become pregnant during the semester, you are strongly encouraged to speak privately with your instructor who will be able to provide written health and safety information about each chemical that will be used in the class. You are asked to review and discuss this information with your healthcare provider.

After you have reviewed the information, you can choose to:

  1. Continue your enrollment in the lab - You will be asked to sign a waiver and will be expected to follow a strict set of health and safety procedures while in the lab.
  2. Withdraw from the lab - Your instructor will assist you in creating a plan to complete the course at a later date.

Administrative Procedures for Faculty and Staff:

If a student voluntarily discloses to you that she is pregnant or is planning to become pregnant while enrolled in a laboratory class, please treat the information as confidential protected health information.

The instructor should contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) 908-737-4804, skupiec@kean.edu for assistance, and should be prepared to provide a list of all chemical substances that will be used in the class. EHS will gather safety data sheets for the substances, conduct a risk assessment, and prepare a set of health and safety instructions for the student. EHS will also notify Kean’s University Council of the need to prepare a waiver.

EHS will provide the safety data sheets, the health and safety instructions, and the waiver to the instructor. The instructor will send the information to the student via email, and allow her time to review the material and to choose whether to stay in the lab or not. If she chooses to withdraw, the instructor should contact the Dean’s office for assistance. If she chooses to remain enrolled in the course, ensure that she signs the waiver, and follows the health and safety instructions provided.

Human and Animal Subjects Research

Any subject involving the use of human or animal subjects must be approved by the Institutional Research Review Board prior to the beginning of the study. Such a review is required by federal statute.

Comprehensive Examinations

A number of Master’s degree programs require a comprehensive examination. Its purpose is to enable the graduate student to integrate the course work of a specific program and to be able to illustrate its application in professional settings. Students are encouraged to discuss with their advisors at the time of admission the goals and objectives to be achieved during the course of the program.

Comprehensive examinations are prepared by program faculty for each area of specialization and are administered mainly during the fall and spring semesters as scheduled. The exam may be taken only after a student has successfully completed a minimum of 21 graduate credits in a specific program, and has maintained a minimum grade point average of 3.0. Intent to take the exam must be filed with the Office of the Dean of the Nathan Weiss Graduate College (NWGC) at least three weeks prior to the scheduled examination dates for each program.

Applications for the Comprehensive Exam are available in the Office at https://www.kean.edu/academics/nathan-weiss-graduate-college/comprehensive-examination-application

The examination is submitted anonymously to faculty for reading and is graded as follows:

  • Pass with Commendation
  • Pass
  • Pass with Condition
  • Fail

In the event of failure, a student may be permitted to take a second comprehensive examination subject to the approval of the program coordinator. In the event of a second failure, a student may appeal to take the examination for a third and final time. The appeal must be recommended by the Program Coordinator, the Department Chairperson and approved by the Dean of the Academic College. If the appeal is approved, the student may sit for the examination no sooner than the next regularly scheduled administration for that program.

One Stop Service Center

One Stop Service Center
Center for Academic Success (CAS), 1st Floor
T: 908.73-REGME

The One Stop Service Center provides Kean University’s students enrollment services at a convenient, central locationthe 1st floor of the Center for Academic Success (CAS). Students can receive assistance with registration, transfer and graduate services, general student accounting, and financial aid.

For a list of services and links to commonly used forms, visit: https://www.kean.edu/offices/registrars-office/registrars-forms-and-policies

Cooperative Education

At Kean University, titles of the co-op experience vary; they may be designated as internships, apprenticeships, or co-op education. Further information may be obtained by contacting the respective School’s Executive Director or the Department Chairperson.

Office of the Registrar

The official purveyor of student academic information, the Office of the Registrar maintains the integrity of all student records from the time of matriculation to beyond graduation.  The department provides information within the service ares of enrollment, academic records, grade collection and recording, classroom and event scheduling, degree certification and diplomas, curriculum and catalog, and much more.

Course Load

Maximum course loads are established per semester as follows:

  • Part-time students: 1-8 credits per semester (excludes summer and winter terms)
  • Full-time students: 9-12 credits per semester (excludes summer and winter terms)

Any increase in the maximum course load must have prior written approval from the Program Coordinator and the Office of Graduate Student Services.

During the summer semester(s), the following maximum course loads are established as:

  • Part-time students: 1-5 credits per semester.
  • Full-time students: 6 credits per semester.

Any increase in the maximum course load must have prior written approval of the Nathan Weiss Graduate College Dean's office. Students may only be enrolled in one graduate program at a time.

Degree Requirements

Graduate degrees and Professional Diploma are conferred by the authority of the Kean University Board of Trustees. To qualify, a student must be fully matriculated in a graduate program of the University and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Degree requirements must be completed within six years from the date of the first course applied towards the degree, which may also include six credits of approved graduate courses earned at another accredited institution, not credited toward another degree, with a grade of “B” or better. Successful completion of six credits taken as a non-matriculated student does not guarantee admission.

Graduate students are allowed to receive a maximum of two grades of “C.” Any additional grades of “C” must be repeated. Grades of “F,” “IN,” “AF,” and “NC” require repeating to meet college and/or course requirements.

Release of Documents from Student Files

Students have the right to inspect and review their educational records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). However, documents submitted to the University become the property of the University. Kean University will not later release copies of those documents. Students needing copies of their educational records should contact the Office of the Registrar for further guidance.

Grade Grievances

If a student believes that he or she has not been graded fairly in a course, it is the student’s right to initiate a grade grievance. A formal process exists for the resolution of such problems. The overall guidelines are basically uniform from academic program to academic program, with each free to develop specific procedures within these guidelines. Requests for reconsideration of a grade must be brought to the faculty member as soon as possible after the conclusion of the course and no later than the end of the eighth week of the subsequent fall or spring semester. The steps in the process are outlined below; it is understood that if a satisfactory resolution is reached at any level, the process ends. If at a given step either party is dissatisfied with the proposed resolution, the dissatisfied party may request reconsideration to the next level. Decisions by the college dean are final, with no provision for further appeal beyond that point.

  1. The student meets with the faculty member to request information about the faculty member’s grading decision or evaluative judgment. If after receiving an explanation from the faculty member, the student remains dissatisfied, he or she may request reconsideration of the grade by the department chairperson/executive director/designee.
  2. The student meets with the department chairperson/executive director/designee to discuss the assigned grade. The chairperson/executive director may choose to intervene directly at this point and attempt to seek a resolution or may decide to refer the question to the academic program’s grievance committee and convene the committee in accordance with the program’s policies and procedures.
  3. The academic program’s grievance committee, comprising faculty members and at least one student, hears the grievance. The committee determines (in accordance with prevailing program practices and the specifics of the particular grievance) a procedure to follow. Both the student and faculty member might be asked to submit materials in writing, or both might be invited or required to appear before the committee. The committee may schedule these meetings so that the parties appear separately or together. Additional information may be requested by the committee as needed.
  4. The grievance committee makes a determination and notifies the student and faculty member in writing of its decision.
  5. If the decision of the grievance committee is not acceptable to either of the parties involved or if implementation of the decision requires the attention of the college dean, the grievance is brought to the dean for resolution and all relevant materials are forwarded to the dean’s office.
  6. The final grade must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar before the degree is posted. Once the degree has been posted, the academic record is frozen and no changes are permitted.

Grade Point Average

The student’s overall academic standing is indicated by a grade point average. The grade point average is determined by dividing the total grade points earned by the total number of semester hours calculated. Numerical points for each letter grade is listed above. The cumulative average is determined only on courses taken at Kean University. Graduate students are allowed to a receive a maximum of two grades of “C.” Any additional grades of “C” must be repeated. Grades of “F,” “IN,” “AF,” and “NC” require repeating to meet college and/or course requirements.

Omissions or errors in grade compilation should immediately be reported to the Office of the Registrar. Questions regarding letter grades assigned by an instructor should be discussed directly with the instructor as soon as possible and no later than the last day of the eighth week of the subsequent major (fall or spring) semester. This timeline does not apply to graduating seniors; change of grades must be completed no later than two weeks after the graduation date. Example: For May degree candidates the change of grade must be completed no later than two weeks after the May ceremony. For January and August candidates, no later than the end of the month. A change of grade will not be permitted after the degree has been posted.

Grading System

The Nathan Weiss Graduate College, along with all graduate programs of study, evaluates all students based on the following grading policy:

Grade Explanation Quality Points
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
F 0
IN Incomplete 0
CG Complete 0
AU Audit 0
W/WD Withdrawn 0
NC No Credit 0
NR No Record 0

Graduation Information

Application for Graduate Degrees

All undergraduate and graduate degree candidates must complete an online graduation application in KeanWISE to be considered for graduation.

Before applying for graduation, students are encouraged to review the policies and procedures on the graduation page (found on the Office of the Registrar website, under "Graduation Information") dedicated to their current status (undergraduate, second degree, or graduate). Student should communicate with their academic advisor to be sure they're on track to graduate, and that all substitutions, waivers, transfer credits, and extensions are on record.

Awarding of Degrees

Formal commencement exercises are held each year at the close of the spring semester. Diplomas also are available in January and August for students who complete degree requirements during the fall semester or the summer session.

January graduates and May and August candidates will be invited to participate in the formal May commencement ceremony. To participate in the May commencement ceremony, all required coursework must be completed by the end of Summer II session of the same year.

Graduation with Distinction

Graduate students who have completed their degree requirements with a cumulative grade point average of 4.0 and a commendation on their Graduate Comprehensive Exam (when required) are recognized as graduating with distinction.

The grades from all graduate level courses, including those transferred in from another institution and those that appear on an undergraduate transcript, are included in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.

Graduation with Distinction will be recognized through a letter from the Dean of the Nathan Weiss Graduate College and such a notation will appear on the student’s transcript and diploma.



A grade of incomplete (IN, IP, IC) may be reported for a student who has completed course requirements throughout the semester and then because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause has been unable to take the final examination or to complete a limited amount of assigned work due near the end of the semester. Unsubstantiated absences from class may not be used to justify an incomplete grade.

Class attendance in subsequent semesters may not be required by the instructor as a condition for removal of the incomplete grade. If a substantial amount of work has been missed for medical or other valid reasons, the student should petition the college dean to be withdrawn from all courses.

It is the responsibility of the student to initiate a request for a grade of incomplete by contacting the instructor of the course and filling out the form “Conditions for an Incomplete Grade and Its Removal.” The instructor of the course must receive this request prior to the submission of grades at the end of the semester. If no such request is received or if the instructor judges the request unacceptable, an appropriate semester grade shall be submitted based upon the student’s attainment of the stated goals of the course.

It is the student’s responsibility to make up the examination or other work prescribed in a contract written by the instructor as part of the above form. This contract will also indicate the final grade to be assigned if the student’s unfinished work is not completed by a specific date. The prescribed time period will be no later than the last day of the eleventh week of the fall or spring semester immediately following the receipt of the incomplete grade. An earlier deadline may be agreed upon by the instructor and the student and in most cases it is expected that a shorter period of time will be specified in the contract for the removal of the IN, IP and IC. This time line does not apply to graduating students; incomplete grades must be completed no later than two weeks after the graduation date. Example: For May degree candidates incomplete grades must be completed no later than two weeks after the May ceremony; for January and August candidates, no later than the end of the month of graduation.

When the student has made up the assignment(s) or taken the examination on time, the instructor forwards a change of grade form for action by the executive director/department chairperson and the college dean. The dean then transmits the form to the Office of the Registrar for processing the grade change. If the student has not completed the work according to schedule, the instructor reports as the final grade for the semester the grade recorded in the contract worked out with the student. The final grade must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar before the degree is posted to the student’s record. Once the degree has been posted, the academic record is frozen and no changes are permitted.

Independent Study

A matriculated Graduate student who has completed a minimum of 21 credits in their program with a GPA of 3.00 or higher, may apply to take an independent study to cover a course in their degree program if the course is not offered prior to graduation.

The student must obtain written approval of the faculty sponsor, program coordinator, and the Office of the Registrar prior to registration. Students who register for independent study without obtaining the required approvals will have their registration forfeited. The application form is available at http://www.kean.edu/offices/registrar/forms-and-policies. Each student is limited to a maximum of two independent studies per program, with permission as noted above. Fall independent study work may be considered for a Spring Research Days presentation as recommended by the supervising faculty member.

Kean Online

Kean University offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs as well as courses fully online. Students in these courses experience no required face to face meetings as all work is done through Blackboard and other technological modalities. A typical course includes lectures, discussions, assignments and a variety of instructional resources. Online courses are usually offered in eight week accelerated sessions which means that students will be working at twice the pace of a typical semester long course. Students in online courses have access to 24/7 technical support and tutoring. More information about Kean Online, it's programs, benefits and how it works can be found at http://www.kean.edu/online

Leave of Absence

Students who must leave the University temporarily either for medical or personal reasons may request a leave of absence. Medical leaves are processed by the Office of Student Health Services (www.kean.edu/offices/health-services/our-services); or the Counseling Center (www.kean.edu/offices/counseling-center), as appropriate.

Students who request a leave of absence after a semester has begun should do so no later than one week past mid-semester. The ordinary length of a leave of absence is a semester; students requesting a leave of absence for two consecutive semesters will need to reapply for readmission to the University. In unusual circumstances the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs may approve a renewal of leave for the semester immediately following.

Military personnel called for active duty that requires a leave from the University must bring a copy of their activation orders to the staff of Veteran Student Services in the Center for Academic Success (CAS 208). Military service members returning from active duty should contact the Office of Veteran Student Services for readmission.  To return to the University from a preapproved leave of absence, the student should contact the One-Stop Service Center located in the Office of the Registrar (Administration Building 1st floor) to request permission to register for the semester.

The above provisions apply to full-time and part-time students in good standing. Good standing is defined as follows: a cumulative grade point average at the completion of the semester prior to request for leave of absence that meets the minimum academic requirements of the University (2.0 or better); all financial and other obligations to the University have been met in full; and there is no disciplinary probation/suspension/dismissal in effect.

New Jersey Resident Tuition Requirement

In order to qualify for the New Jersey resident tuition rate, the student, if financially independent, or the parent or legal guardian on which the student is financially dependent, must: 

  1. Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent residency in the United States, and

  2. Have a bona fide domicile in the state of New Jersey for at least one year prior to the start of the semester. Students who do not fulfill the above requirements will be considered non-residents for tuition purposes and will be charged non-resident rates.

Students who hold temporary visas to the United States are considered to be New Jersey non-residents. The University reserves the right to require a student to prove New Jersey residency for a given semester.

Non-Academic Dismissal

When the actions of a student are judged by competent authority, using established procedure, to be detrimental to the interests of the University community, that person may be required to withdraw.


Matriculated students (not on leave of absence) who have not completed courses and received grades for two consecutive semesters (missed consecutive fall and spring or spring and fall semesters, excluding all summers) are no longer considered active students and must apply for reactivation to the university. A reactivation application must be filed no later than one week prior to the first day of classes for the semester. For more information, please see the Office of the Registrar. Students who have missed two consecutive semesters because they are called up for active military duty do not have to reapply. These students should contact the Office of the Registrar at least one week prior to the start of the term in order to reactivate their accounts.


Students who have not taken any courses for six consecutive semesters, (not including summer or winter terms) must re-apply to the University. This includes submission of a complete Application for Graduate Admission, along with all required supporting materials. For more information, please see the Office of Graduate Admissions.


All students register online via KeanWISE. Priority for the registration period is determined by the number of credits earned toward the degree. Students who do not take advantage of their designated credit registration time will be able to register during the ongoing registration cycle. The University does not guarantee offering all courses listed in this catalog. When there is inadequate registration for a course, it may be cancelled without notice. The Office of the Registrar will notify students of course cancellations via their Kean Google email accounts. Room changes are updated in the online schedule and students are encouraged to review their schedules for any changes.

Semester Credit Hour

Under the NJ State Administrative Code, Title 9A, a "semester credit hour" is defined as “150 minutes of academic work each week for 15 weeks in one semester, which is typically accomplished by 50 minutes of face-to-face class activity each week complemented by at least 100 minutes each week of laboratory or outside assignments (or the equivalent thereof for semesters of different length) but may also be accomplished through an equivalent amount of academic work as established by an institution, which may include additional class time, laboratory work, internships, practical studio work, and other forms of academic work” (NJ Administrative Code, Title 9A-Higher Education).

Standards for Written Work

All graduate research papers must meet acceptable University standards for written work. Students are advised to check with their instructor to determine the appropriate disciplinary standards for written materials.

Thesis Option – ID 5800/5801

The thesis option (ID 5800/ID 5801) may be taken in some programs, with permission of the program coordinator, in lieu of the Advanced Seminar. Students considering completion of a graduate thesis must have successfully completed 21 graduate credits in their program with a minimum grade point average of 3.0. Students must also possess a strong background in research methodology and writing, extensive knowledge of the field in which the work is to be undertaken, and a clear concept of the problem to be investigated. Prior approval must be obtained from the program coordinator as well as the consent of the graduate faculty member who will serve as sponsor, along with final approval of the appropriate College Dean. The approved application must be filed with the Office of the Registrar prior to registration for the thesis. Completion of the thesis may require six credits, which may be taken over a two semester sequence (registration for ID 5800 is required each semester), or in one semester (ID 5801).

Approval and Disposition of Thesis

Final approval is determined by the sponsoring faculty member. Should questions arise as to the acceptability of a thesis, other members of the graduate faculty in the department may be consulted.

Time Limit/Request For Extension

Time Limit

A graduate program must be completed within a six year time limit, with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.

Request For Extension - Graduate Students

If circumstances prevent a student from completing a program within the required six-year time frame, an extension may be considered upon submission of a formal request to the Office of the Registrar. Students must consult with their program coordinators for approval. 

The request form is available online at grad.kean.edu/forms.


Transcript Requests

Official transcripts must be requested online via the National Student Clearinghouse.

*Students who attended 1980 or prior must send an email request (include your name, date of birth, and dates of attendance) to Joseph Flemming at joflemmi@kean.edu

DELIVERY TIME for PAPER TRANSCRIPTS (currently not available)
Transcripts (attendance at Kean from Fall 1982 to present) will be mailed within three working days.
Transcripts (attendance at Kean prior to Fall 1982) will be mailed within seven working days.
During peak periods especially at the end or beginning of a term, mailing may be delayed beyond the above working days.

Transcript fee is $10.00 per official copy (the 10.00 fee covers all undergraduate and graduate coursework).
You cannot receive a transcript if you have an outstanding obligation.

Transfer Credit

A maximum of six credits may be transferred providing the course(s) are applicable to the program to which it is being applied, is approved by the program coordinator, the grade is “B” or better, and the course(s) fall within the six year time limit requirement for completion of programs. Transfer Request forms are available online at the Office of the Registrar Forms & Policies.

No course may be transferred unless documented on an official transcript from the college or university at which the course was taken. Courses applied towards a previous degree may not be credited towards another degree.

Visiting Students

Any student holding a Bachelor's degree is eligible to register as a non-matriculated graduate student. Both the completed Visiting Student application and proof of degree, in the form of a diploma or an unofficial transcript, must be submitted. Non-US degrees must be accompanied by a NACES evaluation (www.naces.org).

Important Information:

  • Visiting students are limited to a maximum of 6 credits

  • Students remain eligible to register for up to 6 credits as long as they remain enrolled in consecutive semesters. Students who miss two semesters must reapply for non-matriculated/visiting status.

  • Enrollment as a visiting student does not guarantee acceptance into a graduate program.

  • Visiting students are not eligible for financial assistance.

  • Restrictions may apply to courses, as well as programs. Students are encourage to contact the Office of Graduate Admissions by phone (908-737-GRAD) or email (grad-adm@kean.edu) before the registration date for information regarding these restrictions.

Any student in need of accommodations due to a disability should contact the Office of Disability Services, 122 Downs Hall, 908-737-4910 or disabilityservices@kean.edu.

Withdrawal from a Course

In order to withdraw from one or more courses a student must do one of the following:

  • do so in person, presenting a valid photo ID at the One Stop Service Center or Kean Ocean Administrative Office, (Gateway 103).
  • submit a signed, dated letter (listing the student ID number, phone numbers, and sufficient information to identify the course section to be dropped) or a completed withdrawal form to the One Stop Service Center or Kean Ocean Administrative Office. The withdrawal form is available in the Forms and Policies section of the Registrar's website.
  • submit an email, from your personal Kean email account, to regme@kean.edu (include your student ID number, phone numbers, and sufficient information to identify the course section to be dropped). 

For security and privacy purposes, requests for withdrawal via the phone or non-Kean email accounts will not be processed. 

The request must be received in the One Stop Student Services/Kean Ocean Administrative Office or postmarked by the published deadlines found on the Academic Calendar.

The withdrawal or "W" grade is not counted in the cumulative grade point average.

Any student who does not officially withdraw on or before the published deadlines found on the Academic Calendar will be given a letter grade that reflects his or her achievement in the course.

If you are a financial aid recipient, please note the following:

  • Withdrawal from any course could result in a decrease in assistance, per Kean's Financial Aid withdrawal policy. This could create (or increase) a balance due to the University.

For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid by calling 908-737-3190 or emaiing finaid@kean.edu.

Withdrawal from Program

Matriculated students who wish to withdraw from a program must submit their request to the Office of the Registrar in writing.